The McDonald’s website touts the Big Mac as “A double layer of sear-sizzled 100% pure beef mingled with special sauce on a sesame seed bun and topped with melty American cheese, crisp lettuce, minced onions and tangy pickles.” I know we’ve all had one and loved it. Did you know you can create the same flavors at home? Yup…you can. We’ve got the recipe below and a video from McDonald’s executive chef Dan Coudreaut showing us how to make a Big Mac at home.
***If you want to make it healthier, skip a little on authenticity. All that stuff from Kraft is full of bad stuff like High Fructose Corn Syrup, try to find healthier, organic alternatives.
Big Mac Special Sauce
- 1/4 cup Kraft Miracle Whip
- 1/4 cup Hellmans mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Wishbone deluxe French salad dressing
- 1/2 Tablespoon Heinz sweet relish
- 2 teaspoons, heaping, Vlasic dill pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried, minced onion
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
How to Make the Big Mac Special Sauce:
- Mix everything very well in a small container so it is unicolored.
- Microwave for 25 seconds
- Cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour
- Makes 1 cup of dressing
Big Mac Sandwhich
- 1 regular sized sesame seed bun
- 1 regular sized plain bun
- 2 previously frozen regular beef patties (or you can get yourself some really good organic grass fed beef.
- 2 tablespoons Big Mac sauce
- 2 teaspoons reconstituted onions
- 1 slice real American cheese (or you can use cheddar since American cheese is not really cheese)
- 2 hamburger pickle slices
- 1/4 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
Cooking your Big Mac:
- Throw out the top half of the regular bun.
- Toast the bottom of the two buns first since you need another for the middle bun.
- Cook the two-all-beef-patties just like the regular burgers.
- When the buns are toasted, put 1 tablespoon of “Mac sauce” on each of the bottom buns on the toasted side.
- Add 1/8 cup shredded lettuce to each bun.
- On the true bottom bun, place one thin slice of cheese on top of the lettuce.
- On the middle bun, add two pickle slices on top of the lettuce.
- Toast the bottom part of the top bun.
- When the meat is ready, put one each on the bottom buns.
- Stack the middle bun on top of the bottom bun, and put the top bun on top.
- Age the burger in wax paper
- Center the burger, right side up, on the waxed paper.
- Fold the “long” ends of the paper up over the top.
- Fold the two remaining ends underneath.
- Wrap tighlty.
- Let it ait for 6 minutes.
- Microwave, while wrapped for 15 seconds on high.