Chef Kelly Armetta is the Executive Chef of Hyatt Regency Boston. He boasts an impressive resume with over 30 years of experience in the culinary industry. His love for food started at the tender age of 14 when he opened his restaurant business at a local Jewish Deli in Brooklyn. One commendable trait Chef Kelly has is his support for “green initiatives,” where he educates and trains his team on the importance of recycling, composting, and working efficiently. These practices along with many others reaffirm Hyatt Regency Boston’s commitment to being a “green” hotel.
We asked Chef Kelly Armetta about his principles in cooking. “Food and eating today represent a deeply personal experience that varies from one person to another,” explains Chef Armetta. “My job is to create a unique and balanced dining experience for people and travelers from around the world. Whether a meal is meant for business, celebration or pure need, I aspire to produce a mix of fresh, expectant and interesting, and this pasta fits the bill for everyone. My go-to Spring fare, this dish perfectly complements the cold weather as everyone always wishes it was–elegant, comfortable, and beautiful.”
Chef Kelly Armetta gives us a backstage pass to Avenue One’s extensive menu by handing us his recipe for “Braised Pork and Mushroom Pasta.” It’s a perfect dish for the Spring because it is hearty and quite filling.
Braised Pork and Mushroom Pasta
2 lbs. of pork shoulder or butt, cut into large thick strips
2 carrots, 1 large onion and 2 stalks celery, chopped
5 cloves garlic, 4 sprigs rosemary, 4 sprigs thyme and 8 leaves sage
2 cups white wine and 1 can (10 oz) crushed tomatoes
2 qts chicken stock
4 tbsp. olive oil
¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 oz portabella mushrooms
1 oz shitake mushrooms
1 oz crimini mushrooms
1 clove minced garlic, 1 ea. minced shallots, salt and pepper
1 oz olive oil
1 pt. cherry or grape tomatoes
Salt and pepper with rosemary and olive oil
Toss and place into 375 degree oven for 12 minutes
1 lb. orecchiette pasta
½ lb. shredded fontina
Roasted cherry tomatoes
1. Heat a large, deep skillet until smoking. Add oil. Season pork with S&P. Sear on all sides. Remove pork
2. Add vegetables and allow to brown. Add herbs. Deglaze with Wine
3. Return pork to pan and add crushed tomatoes and stock. Simmer for 2 hours. Add water as needed. Test meat and see if it is fork tender. Remove meat, cool and shred.
4. Strain stock and squeeze out juice.
5. Return to pan with shredded pork and add white balsamic vinegar.. Bring to simmer.
6. Meanwhile, clean and chop mushrooms. Toss with garlic, herbs, S&P and oil. Place into a 375 degree oven and roast for 15 minutes.
7. Add mushrooms to pork and simmer.
8. Cook pasta to package directions. Once cooked, add to pork mushroom stew. Fold fontina cheese and tomatoes into pasta. Add chopped parsley.
Avenue One in Hyatt Regency Boston is located at 1 Avenue de Lafayette, Boston, MA 02111.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday 06:30AM – 10:30AM
Saturday – Sunday 06:30AM – 11:30AM
Monday – Friday 06:30AM – 11:30AM
Saturday – Sunday 06:30AM – 12:00PM
Monday – Friday 11:30AM – 03:00PM
Saturday – Sunday 12:00PM – 03:00PM
Daily 05:00PM – 10:00PM