Chef Micheel, director of kitchens of the Radisson Blu hotel in Dubai and president of the Emirates Culinary Guild, manages nearly 140 chefs and 14 restaurants. Micheel believes a good chef must cook with passion. He claims that’s why most people say the best cook they know is their mother or grandmother. Mothers and grandmothers, says chef Micheel, cook for people they love most and put all her heart into what is they’re doing.
“It is not only for a chef, it applies to everyone. If you read a newspaper or magazine, you will know if the writer has a job or a passion. It is similar in cooking, too,”he explains. “Food is more than life”, he adds, “it is more than lifestyle. When you watch people eat you can tell a lot about how they do business, a lot of how they work and how they treat their family and people”
Micheel’s own passion for cuisine abounds. He claims there are only a few occasions when he is not thinking about food, and spends time promoting his profession and training and promoting the juniors through the culinary guild that holds the annual Middle East Junior Chef competition. This year there were more than 800 competitors. Micheel prides himself on being a good judge of character and notes that by the time he shakes hands with a prospective chef he’s made 60 per cent of his decision on whether to take them or not. The remaining 40 per cent, he says, depends on their willingness to learn.