Moderne Barn‘s Executive Chef Ethan Kostbar was raised in Israel and did quite a bit of travel through the Middle East. This resulted in an appreciation for the food the area and elegant touches of Middle Eastern cuisine in his American dishes.
“My life experiences inspire me every day,” says Kostbar. “Ingredients from other cultures add a new dimension to American cuisine and our guests really love the playful global influences. I have fun coming up with new ideas and offering a cuisine that can’t be found at other restaurants in the area.”
Guided by his father, Kostbar began his career working in the bread bakery, Loafin
Around, in Washington, DC. He then moved on to study at the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) in Hyde Park where Kostbar cultivated classic cooking skills, completed a yearlong seafood fellowship program, and learne to successfully bring together his international background to create an American culinary style of his own.
Kostbar has worked with some of the country’s most renowned chefs in including Chef
Bob Kinkead at his landmark seafood restaurant Kinkead’s, Exeutive Chef John Doherty at the Waldorf Astoria, Chef Laurant Gras at Peacock Alley, and Chef Tom Colicchio at Gramercy Tavern. It was while working with Chef Colicchio as cook, and then as sous chef, that Kostbar fell in love with cooking seasonal New American Cuisine
Chef Ethan Kostbar’s Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes are a gorgeous way to start a summer Sunday. The family will not be able to resist them once they are topped with some maple syrup. The recipe adds a twist to a breakfast classic by incorporating fresh pineapple (another summer favorite). It is also a great way to teach children how to incorporate fresh seasonal ingredients into an American classic. Try out this recipe at home, and stop by Moderne Barn on your next visit to Armonk.
Pancake Batter Ingredients:
- 3 ½ Flour
- 1 t Baking Soda
- 1 t Baking Powder
- ½ t Vanilla extract
- 1 T Sugar
- 2 ea Eggs
- 6 C Milk
- 2 T Unsalted Butter melted
- In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar) together.
- Fold in wet ingredients (vanilla extract, eggs, milk, butter), and mix until smooth.
- 2 ea Pineapple
- 1 C Meyer Rum
- ¼ C Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 ea Cinnamon Stick (cut in ¼’s)
- 2 T Unsalted Butter
- Peel and core pineapple, slicing into ½ inch circles.
- Place butter in sauté pan with the cinnamon stick.
- Melt the butter until it turns brown.
- Add Pineapple and Sauté on both sides.
- Deglaze pan with Meyer rum.
- Add brown sugar and stir.
- Remove pineapple and set aside to cool.
How to Assemble:
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high heat.
- Using a 3” ring mold and a 4oz ladle spoon, pour pancake batter into the ring mold.3. Add cooled pineapple to each ring mold.
- Cook until pancake bottoms are golden brown on one side.
- Flip the pancake and remove the ring mold.
- Cook through, and transfer to a plate. (Moderne Barn serves 3 pancakes per plate)
- Garnish with whipped rum and cinnamon butter
Moderne Barn American Restaurant is located at 430 Bedford Rd, Armonk, NY 10504, United States
Landmarks Near Moderne Barn Restaurant: Brynwood Golf Club, Whipporwill Club.
Have you been there? Leave a review and check to see if there are Moderne Barn Coupons for your next visit.