Yvette Garlfield is the author of the popular Handstand Kids cookbook series. Before becoming an author, she entered law school and was certain to becoming a children’s rights attorney. She got the idea of the cookbook when she was traveling in India and was thinking of a gift for her younger cousins when she gets back. She thought it would be great to give them a cookbook that would introduce kids to a different culture, cuisine, and language.
By 2007, she was able to launch her first book, Handstand Kids Italian Cookbook kit, which skyrocketed her career into success, leading to a couple more books that came out from her series.
It was her goal to introduce cookbooks that will get families excited about cooking healthy meals together. When she hears from parents of picky eaters, whose children are now adventurous eaters after using our cookbooks, it is greatly rewarding for her. In a time when childhood obesity and Type II diabetes are pandemic, Handstand Kids offers a solution to bring families together and keep them healthy.
Yvette Garfield shares with us her easy recipe for ‘Apple Cinnamon Taquitos.’ She says a lot of children don’t enjoy eating fruits, but including them in a dessert makes it more appetizing to picky children.
Apple Cinnamon Taquitos
6 pcs 8 or 10-inch whole wheat tortillas
1 pc large apple
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Dice the apple on the cutting board.
3. Mix the diced apple with the applesauce and cinnamon in a bowl.
4. Use a pastry brush to lightly coat both sides of the tortillas with vegetable oil.
5. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the apple mixture in the center of each tortilla.
6. Roll the tortillas to make a flute shape, then place them on a baking sheet.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tortillas become crispy. Remove from the heat and rest until cool.
8. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon on top of each warm taquito.
*Optional – Add 1/2 cup of raisins to the apple mixture or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Handstand Kids Mexican Cookbook
This ‘Apple Cinnamon Taquitos’ is just one of the dozen recipes found in Yvette’s Handstand Kids Mexican Cookbook. This is the perfect activity for your children because gives them the chance to prepare their own food.
You can visit Handstand Kids’ official Website, like their page on Facebook, and follow them on Twitter for more information and updates!