Chef Jennifer Cole-Ruiz started her culinary career in Atlanta with an apprenticeship under Heinz Schwab that led her to work with Partners and Indigo, Bice and the Hedgehorse Heights Inn before moving to New Orleans to work with James Beard winner, Susan Spicer, for 2 years.
In 1996, she went to Spain and opened ‘Cornucopia.’ She immersed herself in regional Spanish cuisines by working with Spanish greats, including Michelin star winners Juan Mari Arzak and Frances Paniego. Chef Cole-Ruiz worked in Paris as sous chef in Le Truffiere and for Jean Paul Vinay and Roberto Limas. All that work paid off, she received the title of “best female chef” in Madrid for her work at Ene, and took a winning spot on the Food Network’s ‘Chopped.’
Chef Cole-Ruiz opened La Mujer Gala in Brooklyn, which received numerous accolades and maintained a 4.5 star Yelp rating. She is the new Executive Chef of the Flex Mussels Group and the chef and owner of Gala Cocina Consulting.
Red Wine Oxtail Fideua (Fideua de Rabo de Toro)
3 lb oxtail bone in
2 carrots fine dice
1 yellow onion fine dice
1 parsnip fine dice
1 large bottle red wine
1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary
Salt and lots of black pepper
2 carrots grated
3 tbs sugar
4 tbs water
1tsp toasted cumin seeds
- Salt and pepper oxtail. Sear in sauté pan with olive oil.
- Remove and place in stock pot with vegetables and a touch of olive. Heat and when the vegetables have gotten a touch of color add bottle of wine to cover. If this does not completely cover all ingredients add more wine or beef stock. Reduce heat and cook slowly til meat is tender. Check salt and pepper and add rosemary. When cool, de-bone meat.
- Take 1 bag Goya or Gallo fideo noodles and toast lightly in large sauté pan using NO oil and tossing frequently
- Lightly Caramelize sugar and water. Add carrots and cumin then salt. Cook until tender.
- In a large sauté pan heat 1 1/2 c drained oxtail stew.
- Add 2 cups of toasted pasta. Toss. Add liquid from stew to wet but not quite cover. Check salt.
- Place in 400 oven on lover part of oven. Cook till pasta stands up, about 7 min. Pasta should be tender on the bottom crunchy on top. Serve with carrot marmalade and saffron aioli.
Flex Mussels Locations
Flex Mussels 13th Street
154 W 13TH St NY
Flex Mussels 82nd Sreet
174 E 82nd St NY
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday 5:30-11:00