Chef Ethan Kostbar is known for preparing American cuisine with a worldly touch. At Moderne Barn, he takes what he learned during his childhood in Israel, and during his travels through the Middle East and Europe to create meals that are anything but ordinary.
After completing his studies at the CIA, Chef Kostbar went off to work with some pretty heavy hitters including Chef Laurant Gras at Peacock Alley, and Chef Tom Colicchio at Gramercy Tavern. While at Gramercy Tavern, an then at Kostbar that he fell in love with cooking seasonal New American Cuisine.
We asked Chef Kostbar to share a recipe that he felt symbolizes summer. He chose his Bourbon Chicken Wing Sauce.
Bourbon Chicken Wing (Makes 50 wings)
For the Sauce:
1 Gallon Chicken Stock
4 pcs JalapeÃ±o’s (chop and include the seeds)
14 whole Garlic
8 pc Onion (diced)
10 pcs Zest of Limes
10 pcs Lime Juice
5 Boxes Dark Brown Sugar
1 lbs Ginger
2 Bottles Bourbon
2 Qts Soy Sauce
1. Caramelize onions, garlic, ginger, and jalapeÃ±o’s in a rondo
2. Add Bourbon and burn off the alcohol.
3. Add the chicken stock, soy sauce, Lime zest, Lime juice, and brown sugar.
4. Reduce on a low heat till it becomes a glaze.
1. Flour wings and fry in a fryer at 350° for 8 minutes.
2. Add to a large bowl and toss in the sauce.
Moderne Barn is located at 430 Bedford Road in Armonk, NY (914) 730-0001
Lunch (Mon-Fri): 12pm-2:30pm
Dinner (Mon-Thu): 5pm-10pm (Fri-Sat): 5pm-11pm (Sun): 5pm-9pm
Brunch (Sun): 11:00am-2:30pm