Just 20 miles west of Manhattan, you can find Burger Deluxe, a New Jersey family-friendly restaurant with an interior that joyously shouts with retro flair. They first opened their doors in 2008, and since then, they have been serving premium half-pound burgers and comforting desserts like floats, egg creams, and milkshakes.
The restaurant is owned by the Livanos family, who has a remarkable reputation for delivering good quality service. At Burger Deluxe, they guarantee that the dishes are made with only the freshest of ingredients, and their burgers” with finest of beef. For years, Burger Deluxe has been exceeding their customers’ expectations, making it the ideal spot for any family occasion.
Winter is all about heart dishes and bold flavors. The “French Onion Burger” recipe handed to us by Burger Deluxe definitely fits all those criteria. It is quite filling and a myriad of flavors come to play at every bite.
French Onion Burger
2 pounds Ground Beef
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup Panko (or fresh White Bread Crumbs)
2 medium-sized Spanish Onions, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon Butter
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 cup dry White Wine
2 cups strong Beef Broth (homemade or low-sodium)
1 sprig fresh Thyme
Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
4 slices Gruyere Cheese (about ¼ pound)
4 leaves green leaf Lettuce, washed and dried
4 slice Tomatoes
4 slice Pickle
4 soft Potato or Brioche Rolls
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Portion Beef into four 8-ounce patties. Wrap tightly and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
2. Combine grated Parmesan Cheese with Panko. Place mixture on dry sheet pan and bake in oven for approximately 10 minutes. The flakes should turn rich golden brown. Set aside to cool.
3. Melt Butter with Olive Oil over medium heat and gently saute the sliced Onions until they are lightly browned and begin to soften. Add the White Wine (away from open flame) and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to evaporate the wine. Add Beef Broth, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and add Thyme sprig. Continue cooking Onions uncovered until Beef Broth has nearly evaporated and Onions are very soft with a rich ebony color. Remove Thyme. Reserve in a warm place for immediate use, or cool and refrigerate.
4. Preheat a heavy skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium high heat. Season Burgers with Salt and Pepper. Place Burgers in skillet (no oil necessary, but a small tab of Butter adds extra flavor). Cook for approximately 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium.
5. Toast Buns. Warm Onions gently. Place Onions on Burgers and place a slice of Gruyere Cheese on each Burger. Allow Gruyere Cheese to melt. Place Burgers on toasted Buns.
Burger DeLuxe is located at 1420 Route 23 North Wayne, NJ 07470.[mappress mapid=”156″]
Hours of Operation
Sunday – Thursday 11:00am – 10:00pm
Friday and Saturday 11:00am – 11:00pm
Saturday and Sunday Brunch 11:00am – 02:30pm