Going vegan (or vegetarian) does not have to suck. If you’re thinking of making that lifestyle change, Terry Walter’s Clean Food is an essential for your kitchen. Terry is one of the original leaders of the clean-eating movement. She shares recipes, tips, and techniques to help people eat healthy, happy, and most importantly, delicious.
We asked Terry to contribute a recipe to our Summer Recipe series. She told us “if you’ve never tasted a Watermelon Radish, you’ve been missing out. Its sweet taste and vibrant pink flesh will have you hooked in no time. If watermelon radishes aren’t available, don’t deprive yourself of this guacamole. Tomatillos, cipollini onions or even peaches make great substitutes”. Check it out and if you like it, pick up the book.
Jícama Strawberry Guacamole
Makes 3 cups
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and diced jicama
- 1 watermelon radish,peeled and diced
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced (save the pits)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive
- In large bowl, combine strawberries, jicama, watermelon radish,avocados and jalapeno. In separate bowl, combine lime juice, salt, garlic powder and olive oil. Pour over strawberry mixture and stir until combined. If not serving immediately, place avocado pits in bowl to keep dip from turning brown. Cover and refrigerate. Before serving, remove pits and stir briefly.