Chef Ryan Taylor is the executive chef of Kevin Taylor’s at the Opera House in Denver, Colorado. Today we asked him to share with us an easy but super delicious recipe that he believes truly represents the summer season.
Kevin Taylor’s at the Opera House is located in the Chambers Grant Salon in the Ellie Caulkins Opera House at the Denver Center for Performing Arts. The elegant restaurant serves pre-theater cocktails and dinner on evenings with performances in the Ellie Caulkins Opera House, Buell Theater and/or Boettcher Concert Hall. Kevin Taylor Catering also serves all of the sophisticated spaces within the Opera House for private events.
We asked Chef Ryan Taylor for a recipe he thinks is perfect for the summer season. He handed us his Jumbo Lump Crab Salad recipe and told us that, “I love this recipe because of the bright, fresh produce. I love when its summer because of what great ingredients shine during this season. Heirloom tomatoes, watermelon, avocados and cucumbers are some of my favorite ingredients, especially when they are at the peak of ripeness. I’m also a huge fan of crab, and this chilled salad is perfect on a hot summer day.”
How To Make Chef Ryan Taylor’s Jumbo Lump Crab Salad with Avocado, Compressed Watermelon, Petite Mache and Gazpacho Vinaigrette
Yield: Serves 4 people
8 ounces of jumbo lump crab
1 roma tomatoes small diced
1/2 english cucumber small diced
1 red bell pepper small diced
1 T. chopped chives
1 T. chopped parsley
1 T. chopped basil
2 T. crème fraiche
1 T. olive oil
2 T. sour cream
1 T. chopped cilantro
1/4 yellow onion diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
3 roma tomatoes diced
2 red bell peppers diced
1 english cucumber peeled and diced
1/4 c. sherry vinegar
1 T. Dijon mustard
3 T. olive oil
3 T. canola oil
1/2 inch slice of watermelon
1/4 c. chopped marcona almonds
1 lb. petite mache greens
1. For crab salad, combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
2. For avocado mousse, place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and place in squeeze bottle of piping bag.
3. For the gazpacho vinaigrette, sauté onions, garlic, two roma tomatoes and red bell peppers until vegetables are tender.
4. Chill down and once cool place in blender with other roma tomato, cucumber, sherry vinegar and mustard. Blend on low until smoot, then slowly add both oils until vinaigrette is emulsified, season with salt and pepper.
5. Next place watermelon in a vacuum bag and compress in cryo vac machine 2-3 times until size is reduced and color brightens.
6. Remove from bag and dice into small cubes.
7. To plate, place crab salad in a line down the middle of the plate. Pipe dots of avocado mousse around crab, dress greens with vinaigrette.
8. Garnish the top of the crab salad with crushed almonds and diced watermelon. Enjoy.
Kevin Taylor’s at the Opera House is located at 1345 Champa St., Denver, Colorado 80202
Nearby Landmarks: Temple Hoyne Buell Theatre, Denver Performing Arts Complex, and The Commons on Champa
Phone Number: (303) 640-1012
Hours of Operation: Varies
Dining Style: Formal Full Service
Cuisine Type: New American
Dress Code: Business Attire
Price Range: $25-$35
Payment Options: Accepts all major credit cards