When I was a little girl, I was introduced to Las Palmas by my stepfather. He would take the family (my mom, and step siblings) there on special days. I am glad to report that I’ve been going back over the past few weeks and that it is just as good as I remember.
Las Palmas is located on Bergenline Avenue and 62nd Street, but it is more than just a restaurant. It’s actually made up of 3 1/2 parts:
1. The Casual Eating Area: When you enter the restaurant, you’ll see Latin families enjoying inexpensive fare here. The servers are incredibly nice.
1 1/2: Take out Counter: Las Palmas’ best deal. On weekdays for lunch they have a $4.99 takeout special. You get rice, a protein, and plantains. Totally wort it to pick up and go. You can also pick up any of their regular dishes here.
2. The Restaurant: On the 2nd floor is a “fancier” restaurant. There’s music and dancing from time to time. I must mention here that it’s one of the few restaurants in the area with a decent wine list (Faustino from La Rioja has been on the list for as long as I can remember).
3. The Supermarket: Next to the restaurant downstairs is a Latin Supermarket. This place is awesome. I walked in to all those Colombian sweets I miss from my homeland…but there is a good representation of most Latin American countries at very good prices.
THE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LAS PALMAS IN WEST NEW YORK
1. Size & Quality: This is one of those places where, although they serve HUGE portions, the quality of the food is still good. The restaurant will gladly package whatever you can’t eat so you can take it home (so a lunch at Las Palmas usually means two meals for me).
2. The Palomilla is off the hook delicious: If you aren’t familiar with Palomilla, you’ve not met too many Cubanos. It’s a steak that is thin cut and pounded so it looks like the wings of a dove – Paloma. It’s a beef loin sirloin, cut from the top butt. If you get the main course of Palomilla it will cost you $12, but it comes with rice and beans and can feed at least 3 people. Because the Palomilla itself is so good, you can also enjoy it in the steak sandwich which costs less than $5. The leftovers make for a great steak and eggs the next morning.
3. Take advantage of the Grand Lunch Special: $4.99 gets you the “Palmas Box” Choice of Chicken or beef stew, moros or white rice & beans with maduros. Pick those up and head to the park for an awesome Cuban picnic.
4. Parking: Parking in this area can be a bitch. But there is a parking lot behind the restaurant.
5. Pernil: If you go there on Pernil day….make sure you order. It’s $12 bucks… and as you see in the video, they don’t skimp on portions. You’ll see the little piggy on the window and if you’re nice, you can request your fave part.
LAS PALMAS CUBAN RESTAURANT IS LOCATED AT
6153 Bergenline Ave.
West New York, NJ 07093
To reach Las Palmas via email: laspalmaswny @ gmail dot com
Takes Credit Cards