In the late 90′s McDonald’s decided to target adults and came up with the McDonald’s Arch Deluxe. The not so secret ingredient behind their new creation was a mustard-mayonnaise sauce.
Instead of the happy-go-lucky Ronald McDonald, you got Chef Andrew Selvaggio, who created the sandwich.
You also got sneaky kids who tempted parents to go to McDonalds by using those three magic words “McDonald’s Arch Deluxe”.
They also tried to appeal to business men. Their efforts failed much to the chagrin of fans who lived for the special Dijon sauce. It is rumored that McDonald’s spent over $100 Million dollars to push the sandwich which was ultimately a business failure….but don’t worry…you can make your own at home. Just check out the recipe below:
Arch Deluxe Secret Sauce
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon Grey Poupon Specialty peppercorn mustard
- 1 sesame seed hamburger bun (potato roll style with split crown)
- 1/4 pound Topp’s beef patty
- 1 slice American cheese
- 1-2 tomato slices
- 1-2 lettuce leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chopped white onion
- McDonald’s hamburger seasoning
Cooking your Arch Deluxe:
- Combine the mayo and the Dijon mustard. Set aside. This is the secret sauce.
- Toast the buns on a griddle
- Cook the beef patty
- Layer your ingredients on the top side of the bun in this order: special sauce, ketchup, onions, lettuce, tomato, cheese
- Add the cooked beef patty and enjoy.
To make an Arch Deluxe with bacon, use a slice Hormel pepper bacon, break it in half after cooking and add to the sandwich.
***Note, a better way to make this recipe is to buy better ingredients…like grass fed beef, and maybe Maille Mustard, but the ingredients above will get you closest to the original flavor of the Arch Deluxe