Chef Robert Daugherty, at the tender age of 11, already knew he wanted to be a chef someday. He used to hide in his father’s car to work with him at David Copperfield’s, best known for their Monte Cristo. He attended the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York.
Chef Daugherty is a past president of the American Culinary Federation Culinary Rhode Island Chapter as well as adjunct Professor at Boston University School of Hospitality. His current focus is on educating and supporting the movement to improve the sourcing of GMO free foods, all natural proteins and sustainability. Over the past twelve years Chef Daugherty has been very active in developing and contributing his energy to the following charity events which hold a special place in his heart: Community Servings, Special Olympics, MS Society, Home Sweet Home and Charles River Clean Up.
We asked Chef Daugherty for a recipe he thinks best embodies the winter season. He handed us his recipe for “Rosemary & Chipotle Roasted Nuts.” He explains why it’s perfect for the season by saying, “Not only is this a great holiday dish, perfect for gifting or impressing guests at holiday parties, but it is a quick and fast snack or meal that just begs to be enjoyed around a warm fire during a snow day.”
Rosemary & Chipotle Roasted Nuts
3 cups whole unroasted cashews (14 0z.)
2 cups whole walnut halves
2 cups whole pecan halves
1 cup whole almonds
1/3 cup maple syrup
¼ cup light brown sugar
3 tbsp. freshly squeezed OJ
2 tsp. ground chipotle powder
4 tbsp. minced fresh rosemary / divided
1. Pre-hear oven 350 degrees F
2. Brush sheet pan with vegetable oil.
3. Combine nuts, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, orange juice and chipotle powder.
4. Toss nuts to evenly coat nuts.
5. Add 2 tablespoons rosemary and 2 teaspoons of kosher salt mix again.
6. Evenly spread out nuts over sheet pan and roast in the oven to 25 minutes.
7. Stir nuts several times to even the cooking.
8. Remove from oven and add remaining rosemary.
9. Stir several times during cooling process to prevent nut from sticking together.
10. Serve warm or store in an air tight container.
Zephyr On The Charles of Hyatt Regency Cambridge is located at 575 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02139
Hours of Operation
Monday – Sunday 06:30 AM – 12:00 AM