Chef John Ford is the head chef at Cameron Bar and Grill, where he serves a recognizable, yet distinctive menu of familiar dishes with creative twists. He uses unique ingredients that take food to the next level, offering an American culinary experience you won’t easily forget.
Cameron Bar and Grill is a classic neighborhood mainstay for patrons making their way to Cameron Village either for shopping, or for a meal to knock them off their feet. The people behind the kitchen doors, in front-of-house, and our guests, all operate as a big family. Cameron Bar and Grill is a restaurant where you can go grab a drink, eat delicious southern favorites, and laugh with one another everyday.
We work to redefine classic southern cuisine, while giving your taste buds a nostalgic throwback, with a modern twist. I am constantly making my way to the innovation kitchen to find new ways to reawaken these timeless favorites with my own unique spin, catered specifically to my guests.
We asked Chef John for a recipe that he thinks is perfect for the summer weather. He handed us his recipe for Southern Pot Roast and he told us that, “The Southern Pot Roast is a year-round favorite by all of our guests. To me, it’s a bit nostalgic, and takes me back “home.” It reminds guests and myself of big family gatherings, where you would enjoy the classic meals with one another that you’ve loved all of your life. It reawakens memories and brings laughter and fellowship around the table.”
How To Make Chef John Ford’s Southern Pot Roast
Yields 5-6 servings
1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless Short Rib Beef
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
All Purpose Flour (For Dredging)
¼ Cup Paprika
4 Dried Ancho Chilies
¼ Cup vegetable oil
2 Yellow Onions sliced thin
3 cloves garlic minced
1 8oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
1 cup red wine
3 cups beef stock
¼ Cup AI Steak Sauce
½ Cup Worcestershire
2 fresh thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
3 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
3 Celery Sticks chopped
6 Red Potatoes quartered
1 yellow onion thinly sliced dredged in flour and fried for garnish
1. Dredge the beef in flour and shake off excess flour. Rub in the paprika and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large (oven-safe) skillet with oil. Sear all sides of Beef until golden brown. This will help to lock in the juices in the beef.
3. Add carrots, potatoes, onion and celery and sauté until fragrant.
4. Deglaze the pan with red wine.
5. Add in the beef stock, AI, Worcestershire, garlic and herbs.
6. Cover and cook in oven at 225 degrees for 7-8 hours. Low and slow is the key!
7. When finished serve pot roast beef over the vegetables, and top with thinly sliced crispy fried onions, use the juices from the skillet as gravy.
Cameron Bar and Grill is located at 2018 Clark Avenue Raleigh, NC 27605
Nearby Landmarks: Little Art Gallery & Craft, Cheshire Cat Gallery, Fedora Boutique, and ABC Package Store
Phone Number: (919) 755-2231
Hours of Operation:
Monday — Thursday: 11AM – 10PM
Friday — Saturday: 11AM – 12 Midnight
Sunday: 10am — 10PM
Have you been there? Leave a review and check if there are Cameron Bar and Grill Coupons for your next visit.