Chef Guy Cerina is currently the executive chef for the neighborhood favorite, beer-centric restaurant/bar located right off of Times Square in Midtown Manhattan, The House of Brews. Guy has been an Executive Chef at several prestigious establishments over his long standing hospitality career, including The Huntington Yacht Club, La Mottas & Gebhardt’s of Floral Park, NY, where he opened with a new crew and constructed the entire menu from scratch.
Chef Guy has a favorite quote about his passion for cooking that he says in the kitchen all the time, originally written by Harriet Von Horne in one of his cook books” “Cooking is like making love, you do it well, or you do not do it at all.”
One recipe perfectly in time for Fall is Chef Guy’s Tempura Atlantic Cod, with its irresistible Asian-inspired flavor, subtle heat, and ingenious play on texture.
Tempura Atlantic Cod
Served with cellophane vegetable noodles in a teriyaki wasabi broth.
Ingredients for broth
- 1 gallon of water
- 1 inch fresh ginger smashed
- 4 cloves of garlic smashed
- ¼ bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch of scallion tops
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 sticks of celery chopped
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/8 cup wasabi powder
- 2 cups of shitake mushroom stems
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar.
Ingredients for tempura batter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ice water
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup corn starch sifted.
- 10 pcs 4 oz. cod fillets bones removed
- 1 carrot julienne
- 4 heads of baby Bock Choy (washed and chopped)
- 1 bunch of sliced scallions
- 2 cups of julienne shitake mushrooms
- 1 red pepper julienne
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- Preparation of broth: Heat sesame oil in a sauce pot then add vegetables. After four minutes add water, teriyaki, and wasabi and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and let it cook 20 minutes. Remove and strain vegetables.
- Cooking Cellophane Noodles: Place ¾ gallon of water in a separate sauce pot and bring to a boil. Add cellophane noodles and stir. Cook for four minutes until noodles are soft. Then strain and shock in cold water and set aside.
- Preparation of tempura batter: Beat egg in bowl then add ice water, sifted flour and corn starch.
- Preparation of Cod: Heat oil to 375 degrees in fryer. Dip cod into the tempura batter, then place cod in fryer and cook for four minutes until golden brown. Remove fish and place on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Assembling Dish: Place sesame oil in saute pan add garlic and ginger. Then add scallions, red pepper julienne, shitake mushrooms, carrots, snow peas, and bock Choy and stir fry on high for one minute. Place noodles in serving bowl and add vegetables. Then pour your broth over the noodles and veggies. Finally, place cod fillet over dish and garnish with cilantro leaves, sliced scallions, and sesame seeds.
The House of Brews is located at 302 West 51st Street, New York, NY 10019. 212-541-7080[mappress mapid=”58″]
Hours of Operation
Monday – Sunday” 11 am – 4 am