People may think, “how in the world can fashion get inspired by food? The answer is simple: food is beautiful. Because we are too busy eating them, some people may fail to notice that a single morsel can be a component to the bigger picture called art. Although nothing seems artistic with rolls of raw meat, and children do not play with their crayons and their vegetables at the same time, food is indeed an entity with its own aesthetic value. And what can be more exciting than eating what you’re wearing? We have scoured the web for the ten most interesting food-inspired fashion.
1) Lady Gaga‘s Raw Meat Dress ” the most recent and controversial food-inspired fashion surprised this year’s audience and guests at the MTV Video Music Awards. Draped in folds of raw meat with heeled raw meat shoes to boot, Lady Gaga might have brought either an offensive or a mere artistic expression. In any case, she was still dressed in raw meat. Let the flies go a-buzzin’.
2) Meat and Potatoes ” photographer Ted Sabarese captured the image of a more elegant version of the notorious raw meat dress. This time the skirt is made of rows layered raw meat “swatches”, whereas the top is made of potato slices. The piece is part of Sabarese’s Hunger Pains portfolio.
3) Artichoke Hearts ” created by two Project Runway alumnus, Daniel Feld and Wesley Nault, this pre-formed gown is shaped and attached with strategically positioned artichoke hearts. As Nina Garcia would probably comment on the dress: “It’s editorial”.
4) The Chocolate Dress ” chocoholics get reunited with this one. Chocolates can be molded, they can be tinted, they can easily stick, and they come in different flavors. Food fashionistas can agree that chocolates give designers many possibilities with yummy silhouettes and (chocolate) fabric choices.
5) Food accessories ” taking a page from Ted Sabarese’s portfolio, Fulvio Bonavia creates his own in A Matter of Taste. This collection presents photographs of food converted to accessories. Purses come in blocks of hard cheese, and bundles berries and broccoli, and bangles covered with sugared candy jewels.
6) Leafy Green Panty ” visions of the naked sushi bar or nyotaimori easily gives way to the idea of designing food-inspired underwear. Fulvio Bonavia features a panty made of leaves of salad vegetables. Adults get reminded why parents told us that leafy vegetables are good for you, the same knowledge that we are now passing to our children.
7) Foodwear ” Fulvio Bonavia features two pairs of footwear using food as major components of the entire shoe: a pair of boots covered with rice grains, and sandals with cashew nuts making up the straps.
8) Waffles and fruits ” this outfit also belongs in Ted Sabarese’s Hunger Pains. The outfit can be literally seen as waffles with fruit toppings with the waffle pants and top made of bananas and other fruits. Great outfit for breakfast dates.
9) The Pizza Dress ” instead of using an actual pizza as “fabric”for this flowy long dress, Jeremy Scott opted for a pizza-inspired fabric print and a silhouette reminiscent of a nicely folded pizza. Although it is not as out of this world, the dress itself is steaming hot.
10) The Wedding Cake Dress “Lukka Sigurdardotti designed a wedding gown with a full skirt made of cake and slathered with white icing. The cake itself is checkered which is revealed once the cake is sliced. This ensemble indicates that anything can be possible on your wedding day: yes, you get to wear the dress and eat it too.