Sarinya Rattana was born and raised in Bangkok, Thailand where meals have a central role in everyday culture. Rattana’s love of food began at a very young age at home with her mother. She watched her mother buy, prepare, and cook meals for her family and extended family. She was her first and most important inspiration in a career as a chef. Currently, Rattana is a personal chef with a specialty in Thai cuisine, chef and blogger at Please Let Me Cook for You Catering Services, and food stylist. Rattana resides in Los Angeles where she calls her second home.
“Time flies when you are having fun. Summer starts in three weeks. I always cook lighter food when the weather starts to get warmer. This year, Southern California began to get warm in February. After a winter holiday season of lots of rich food and delicious desserts, I cook healthier, vegetarian dishes such as vegetarian bolognese sauce. Any meat can be easily added. My recipe is very simple. I use brown rice pasta for added nutrition.”
- 1 lbs. brown rice spaghetti pasta (or regular pasta)
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 red chopped jalapeno to give an extra kick (or 1 diced red bell pepper)
- 4 leaves chopped Italian basil
- 1 bay leave
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 lbs. Marina sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp raw blue Agave nectar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Grated Parmesan
- Heat olive oil in enamel pot over medium high heat. (Enamel pots are a good option for long-cooking because they have excellent heat diffusion and retention.)
- Add chopped garlic and and mix for about 20 seconds or until you smell aroma of garlic.
- Add diced onions and stir until they turn translucent.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add diced carrot and celery along with dry thyme and dry oregano. Stir until it lightly browned.
- Add Marinara sauce and stir it occasionally until it is heated through. Then add chopped Italian basil leaves, bay leave, and chopped red jalapeno (or diced bell pepper).
- The secret ingredients of my vegetarian Bolognese are Agave and red wine vinegar. Add Agave, red wine vinegar, and 1/2 cup of water in the sauce. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, bring the water to the boil in the big pot (at least 6 quart size). Add the brown rice pasta and let it cook approximately 10 minutes or until it is al dente.
- Serve Vegetarian Bolognese pasta with grated Parmesan.
- Buon Appetito!